Parents’ words that do not show respect to a child have two things in common: ignore the feelings of the child and focus on teaching. As a result their message is: “Your feelings are wrong. It would be better for you, if you felt and experienced as I did”. An answer expressing lack of respect makes the child feel stupid, his self-esteem is lowered. Such conversations are devoid of educational effect which the parents want. As a result, the child does not learn to respect others. Child learns to respect – out of the fear – the power of the second man.
- You will pay for a visit from your pocket, if you do not calm down …
- Be a man! Behave!
- Surely it does not hurt!
- I am ashamed of you.
- I will leave you here!
- If you are polite, I’ll buy you something.
- I will just grab you by the hand (which covers the mouth) in a moment and will not let go.
- I’ll tell your dad, you’ll see!
- If you leave the chair, I will spank you!
- I will get heart attack because of your teeth!
- Doctor is sad because of you! She/he will not like you!
- You do not need a tooth image, you need the image of the brain!
What did you feel reading these sentences?
Please do not publish pictures and text from this website. It is against the law. Act of 4 February 1994 on Copyright and Related Rights (Journal of Laws of 1994 No. 24, item. 83).